If you are suspecting that your hard drive may be full or you are getting unnecessary random error messages then it’s time to check the health of your hard disk. To keep boosted every time you have to always clean your hard disk and it requires a minimum empty space to run your machine smoothly.
Demerits of a full hard drive:
If your hard drive is full, it may cause several issues on your computer. You will be suffering from late booting time, lagging on opening any games or any program. In windows generally, there is no notification for you regarding your hard disk health. The only way is to check from time to time to keep your pc clean and accurate.
How to check free hard drive spaces:
It is a super easy process to check how much your hard drive is full or how much space do you have. It takes less than a minute and some easy steps.
Note: These steps work only on Windows 10, Windows8, Windows 7, Windows vista and XP
- In windows 10 search for File Explorer.If you don’t see the option go to the windows system folder and type File Explorer in the search bar
- In windows 7 or Vista select the Start button followed by My computer
- In Windows XP go to the Start option and then go for My computer
- On the left-hand side of File Explorer or Windows Explorer (depending on your version of Windows), make sure This PC, Computer, or My Computer is selected (again, based on your version of Windows). If you see nothing on your left screen, go to the view menu and then enable the navigation pane.
- On the right-hand side of the screen, you will be able to see the drives of your pc. Bottom of the drive it is shown that how much free space is left
Note: In windows 10 or 8 all storage devices are in the same row but in windows 7, XP, and vista there is a separation between Hard disk drive and removable storage device.
- To know more storage space information about your drive just right-click and tap and hold the drive. You will see Properties. Click on it.
- In general tabs, one can see all the accessible information about storage drive following in bytes as well as rounded GB.
- Used Space: This is the sum of every copy of your data on the device.
- Free Space: This is the difference between Used space and the total formatted capacity of the device. It indicates how much space is left unused in your machine.
- Capacity: This is the total space that can be formatted.
There is a pie graph that can help you to understand the uses of your total hard drive space and free space left. It also shows how you using your spaces in hard drives.
Checking Hard drive health by Command Prompt:
There is another way of checking the issues related to space is with the help of a command prompt. It is not as easy as the previous method but is quite helpful. In this method, the result will be shown by bytes instead of Gigabytes that makes it so hectic.
The command which is used to check the space left on the device is wmic logical disk get the size, free space, caption.
- At first, go to the start menu and search for the command prompt.
- Once the application is open just write the command written above and click Enter
- You will see all your needy information there.
How much free space do you need in general in a machine:
Microsoft recommended freeing up some space in your machine to keep them safe. You should have the latest 100 MB space left free on any drive installed on your computer. Actually, it is said that 10 percent of total space should be left free to run the windows no hectic. To calculate the percentage you have to go to Capacity from previously discussed. If your capacity is 80 GB then you have to keep 8 GB free space left.